Sweater And Muffler

 Sweater And Muffler

(To set the perfect mood while reading this story, I recommend listening to Snowman by Sia)
The crisp chill of winter wrapped the city in its icy embrace as the streets shimmered under the soft glow of holiday lights. The scent of roasted chestnuts mingled with laughter and the distant hum of carolers. Christmas was near, and Rishi couldn’t contain his excitement.

His wish list was ready, carefully written in bold letters: a new transformer robot at the top, followed by camel watercolors and a baggy jacket. There were more items, of course, but these three were non-negotiable.

“Rishu! Come on, we’re going grocery shopping,” his mother called from the door.

Bundled up in his favorite muffler and an extra sweater, Rishi stepped out with his parents. The streets were alive with holiday cheer—couples holding hands, children stomping playfully in the light snow, and an old couple sharing soup at a corner café. Rishi’s eyes sparkled as he took it all in.

“Mom, when will I be able to play with snow?” he asked, his breath forming little clouds in the cold air.

“Soon, darling. Let it snow a little more,” his mother replied with a smile, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

“What did you ask Santa for this year?” his father teased, ruffling Rishi’s hair.

Rishi grinned mischievously. “Why should I tell you? If I reveal my wish, it won’t come true!”

His parents chuckled, exchanging amused glances. But Rishi had a secret plan. This year, he intended to catch Santa in action. He would stay awake all night and prove once and for all whether the man in red was real.

As they reached the mall, Rishi couldn’t resist peeking at the toy shop display where his coveted transformer robot stood gleaming under the lights. His little hands pressed against the cold glass. “Please, Santa,” he whispered under his breath.

Inside the bustling mall, Rishi, like any curious child, got distracted by the colorful displays and toys. His father grabbed his hand, laughing. “Stick with me, champ. We don’t want a repeat of last time.”

After shopping, they stood outside waiting for the car. The night was colder now, the fog thicker. Rishi’s mother stepped aside to call his father, and Rishi hummed Snowman by Sia.

A faint voice joined his tune, startling him. Curious, he followed the sound, despite his mother’s warnings about wandering. Around the corner, he found a boy sitting on a tattered rug, singing softly and playing with a broken robot.

“How did you know I was humming that song? Are you a magician?” Rishi asked, startling the boy.

The boy looked up, confused. “Who are you?”

“I’m Rishi. What’s your name?”

“Why should I tell a stranger my name?”

Taken aback, Rishi huffed and turned to leave but soon realized he had lost his way. His eyes welled up.

“Can’t find your way back?” the boy asked, his tone softening.

Rishi nodded silently, biting his lip.

“Were you here shopping?”

Another nod.

The boy stood, shaking off the snow from his knees. Rishi noticed he wore only a thin t-shirt under the rug, shivering as he adjusted it over a little girl sleeping beside him.

“Aren’t you cold? You should wear more clothes,” Rishi said, his voice trembling.

“I only have these,” the boy replied simply. “Come on, let’s find your parents.”

As they walked, Rishi’s curiosity took over. “What’s your name?”

“Thomas.”

“How old are you? Are you excited about Christmas? What did you wish for?”

Thomas laughed at the barrage of questions. “You’re a curious one! I’m 12. Yes, I’m excited about Christmas, and I wished for a good job for my father.”

Rishi blinked in confusion. “You could’ve wished for a transformer robot.”

Thomas smiled but didn’t reply.

When they reached the mall entrance, Rishi’s mother ran toward him, her eyes filled with relief. She checked him for injuries while his father followed close behind.

“Rishi, where have you been? I told you not to wander off!” she exclaimed, tears brimming in her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Mumma. Thomas helped me find my way back,” Rishi said, glancing at Thomas.

His mother turned to Thomas, her expression softening. “Thank you, beta. You’re a kind boy. God bless you.”

Rishi’s father pulled up the car, and as they got in, Rishi suddenly shouted, “Wait! Stop!”

His mother, startled, looked at him. “What happened now, Rishi? Why are you shouting?”

Rishi didn’t answer immediately. Instead, he jumped out of the car and ran back to where Thomas was still standing. His small hands fumbled with the muffler around his neck as he approached the older boy.Pulling off his sweater, he held it out to Thomas along with the muffler.

"Take these," he said firmly.

Thomas took a step back, shaking his head. "No, Rishi. I can’t. You’ll be cold. It’s too much."

Rishi frowned, his small brows furrowing in frustration. “This isn’t for you, Thomas. It’s for your sister. She’s so little, and she looks cold.” He pressed the sweater and muffler into Thomas’s hands. “Please, take it. You said you were excited about Christmas, right? Let her feel a little of it too.”

Thomas hesitated, looking down at the bundle in his hands and then at his sleeping sister. Slowly, he wrapped the sweater around her tiny form and draped the muffler around his own neck.

“You asked if Santa is real,” Thomas said, glancing at Rishi. “For me, you’re Santa. Thank you, Rishi.”

Rishi smiled, his cheeks red from the cold. “Merry Christmas, Thomas! I hope you and your sister stay warm now.”

As Rishi turned to leave, his parents, who had been silently watching the exchange, felt a swell of pride. His mother’s eyes glistened with tears, and his father placed a hand on her shoulder.

Back in the car, Rishi was unusually quiet, staring out at the lights twinkling on the streets. His father finally broke the silence.

"That was a wonderful thing you did, Rishu," he said.

Rishi looked up and smiled. “I think I don’t want the transformer robot anymore, Papa.”

His parents exchanged a surprised glance. “Why not?” his mother asked.

Rishi grinned. “Because Santa doesn’t need a robot. I think I want to do what he does instead.”

True to his word, Rishi spent the rest of the winter gathering old sweaters and warm clothes with the help of his parents. On Christmas Eve, he distributed them to children in need across the city, lighting up smiles wherever he went.

That year, Rishi didn’t get the new transformer robot, but he found something far greater—the joy of giving.

And as he lay in bed that night, he thought of Thomas and his words: “For me, you’re Santa.”

That Christmas, Rishi learned that the magic of Santa wasn’t in the gifts but in the kindness of a giving heart.



Comments

Popular Posts