Magic by Chance

 Magic By Chance 

                                                      

It was one of those perfectly shiny days that begged for a walk. The kind where the sun kissed your skin, the breeze played with your hair, and the world felt just a bit more alive. I couldn't resist the call of the outdoors, so I slipped on my shoes, popped in my earpods, and set off, hoping to soak in some much-needed positivity. But as I strolled through the park, something felt... off.

The music in my ears wasn't hitting right, the sun's warmth was too familiar, almost boring, and despite the picturesque surroundings, a cloud of melancholy hung over me. I knew what it was, but I didn't want to admit it—the breakup was still too fresh, leaving a hollow ache I couldn't quite shake.

With a sigh, I found an empty bench and plopped down, trying to distract myself by scrolling through Instagram. But even the endless stream of curated happiness didn't help. Frustration bubbled up, and I buried my face in my hands, feeling the weight of everything pressing down on me.

"Rough breakup? And the song isn’t vibing either, huh?" A male voice, soft but amused, pulled me out of my thoughts.

I peeked through my fingers to see a man with a cap pulled low over his face, leaning casually against the bench. He wasn't looking at me, just at the cap in his hand, as if he was talking to it instead of me.

Confused, I glanced around, half-expecting to see someone else nearby. But no, it was just us. "I'm talking to you, and only you," he said, finally turning his head toward me with a grin that made him look like he'd just played a clever trick.

Pervert, I wanted to say, but he held up a hand, stopping me mid-thought. "No, no, don't go there. Just let me entertain you," he said, standing up and giving a theatrical bow. "You see this cap?"

I nodded, not sure where this was going.

"Good. Now, watch as I pull a rabbit out of it," he said, his tone dripping with exaggerated mystique.

I couldn't help but give him a dubious look. 

He chuckled, clearly enjoying my skepticism. "Not a fan of magic, I see. But bear with me." And with a flourish, he reached into the cap and, to my astonishment, pulled out a rabbit. Then another. And another. Some of them hopped away, others just stared at me with blank, dumbfounded expressions mirrored my own.

It was so absurd that I burst out laughing, and the sound surprised even me.

"Ah, there's the smile your face deserves," he said, stepping closer, his own smile softening into something more genuine. "No tense lines on your forehead, just smile lines around your lips."

He was too close now, and instinctively, I leaned back. I wasn’t ready for anything new, not so soon. But the moment passed, and he seemed to notice the shift in my mood.

"Maybe magic isn’t what you need," he said thoughtfully. "Perhaps just some good weather and music to help you relax and fall in love again."

'Fall in love with who?' I wanted to ask, but the words got stuck in my throat.

"Is summer not your liking?" he asked instead as if he'd read my thoughts.

I shrugged, unsure. 'Maybe winter?' I thought.

He snapped his fingers, and to my utter disbelief, a snowflake brushed against my cheek. I looked up to find the tree above us dusted with snow, more flakes gently drifting down. The cold was a welcome shock, freezing away the numbness that had settled in my heart.

"Or perhaps autumn?" he suggested with a twinkle in his eye, taking my hand and spinning me on my toes. As I twirled, leaves began to fall around us, their golden hues catching the light. A little boy ran through a pile of them nearby, sending them flying, and I laughed again, the sound bubbling up from somewhere deep inside me.

"You like seeing kids fall, huh? God will never forgive you," he said with a mock-serious face, which only made me laugh harder.

Finally, I found my voice. "Who are you?"

"Maybe what you need isn’t magic," he replied, ignoring my question. "Maybe it’s something that will make you open your arms and embrace the love around you."

And with a snap of his fingers, everything changed. I blinked and found myself alone on the bench, the man nowhere to be seen. Had it all been a dream?

I was about to stand up when I noticed a small piece of paper in my hand. On it were the words: "Rain is all that you need."

As if on cue, raindrops began to fall, light at first, then more steadily. I tilted my head back, letting the rain wash over me, and for the first time in a long while, I felt truly at peace.

Comments

Popular Posts